Monday, December 29, 2008

Broken Toe-A Lesson Learned

I broke my toe Saturday night. Okay, so I am not medically certain that I broke it, but I hit it pretty bad and I tend to err on the side of exaggeration. My family was sitting around having a nice time and laughing about all sorts of things. I decided to film the moment to capture the memories and the minute the camera turned on everyone got quite. To keep the moment interesting I passed the camera to my girlfriend and got up to taunt our new puppy to chase me around the house as she always does. I began to run quickly, navigating all the obstacles that exist in a house right after Christmas. Yet in my rush, I neglected to dodge the solid oak dining table and chairs. My toe connected and bent in a sickening way and well...the rest is on video to go down in shameful and comedic history.
Anyway, Sunday I was up to preach a sermon called "The Overture of Heaven." I dealt with how God prepares us for newness in our lives. At one point I was discussing the dangers of rushing a season of preparation and the Lord quickened the painful event of the night before to apply to what He was trying to communicate. It was so simple and profound for me that I had to come home and write about it.
Many people believe and understand that God has a destiny for their lives. This grand scheme is overarching and all-encompassing. Yet the Bible also teaches us the the STEPS of the righteous are ordered by the Lord. The daily, tedious, seemingly insignificant progressions of our lives have just as much to do with God's plan as the milestones do. Many times, the Lord puts us in a position to be prepared for what He is going to do next. If you are anything like me, seasons of waiting and slow preparation are quite taxing. Drive, ambition, and urgency are usually very valuable qualities I possess, but when it comes to waiting patiently, they create quite a conflict. This entire year has been a year of waiting in some of the deepest and most personal areas of my life. For almost 8 months of the year I struggled with God to just "get on with it!" As I was preaching yesterday, though, God showed me what that is like.
When you are in a race on a track with a finish line in front of you, sprinting is crucial, especially in the spiritual sense to which I am feebly trying to analogize. Going fast in a place that is built for speed makes sense. However, sprinting in a place that is made for walking slowly-like a house after Christmas-will probably result in breaking your toe. If God has brought you to a place where He wants you to act, please sprint with all your might. However, if he has placed you in a season of preparation, please don't rush. Let Him do what He needs to do. His timing is perfect. When you finally do reach that event for which He is preparing you, the fact that you soaked in every designated second of His divine preparation will make it that much more valuable and invigorating.
...and please...don't run in the house while being filmed.

0 comments: